Ingredients (serves two):
- 2 1/2 cups English cucumbers, sliced and quartered
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage, sliced
- Handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- Handful cashews, for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
Peanut Citrus Dressing
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, lime juice or lemon juice, + more as needed
- 3 tablespoons raw or natural peanut butter (almond or cashew butter is great too)
- 1 tablespoon tamari, Bragg’s liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or 1/2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce (optional)
In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the peanut citrus dressing, set aside allowing the flavors to come together. Then before adding the dressing to the salad, taste for flavor adding anything extra you might like. For a thinner dressing add 1 or 2 tablespoons citrus juice or water. To make it thicker add a tad bit more nut butter.
Prepare your salad ingredients. Check your dressing for flavor. In a large bowl combine the salad mix with the dressing, toss well and serve. Top with cashews and red pepper flakes.
Notes for the dressing: Use the orange juice for a less tangy dressing. I used orange for this recipe and have also used lemon as well. Both were great, and I know the lime will be wonderful too! You can also lessen the amount of juice replacing it with water. Add in some citrus zest of choice if desired. And if your a vinegar lover, try adding a splash or two of rice vinegar!
Notes for the salad: Try tossing in a cup of cooked quinoa after mixing for a more nutritionally balanced profile.
© 2014 The Simple Veganista. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from The Simple Veganista website.