Ingredients for Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup or so hummus or tahini (any vegan mayo works too)*
- 1 – 2 tablespoons mustard (stoneground or dijon)
- Sea salt & cracked pepper, to taste
- Dash of garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lemon, optional
- Small handful pepitas, optional
- Paprika/smoked paprika, garnish
Drain and rinse your chickpeas, place in medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender. Add the remaining ingredients and combine. Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning.
*If you find your hummus is a bit thick, thin it out with a tablespoon or two of water. This will make for a perfect consistency to use as a binder without being overly thick and/or drying as well.
Ingredients for Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Mashed chickpea salad
- A few slices of your favorite bread
- Leafy greens
- Avocado, mashed (optional)
Layer your bottom slice of bread with leafy greens, add your chickpea salad on top. On the underside of your top slice of bread, add some optional mashed avocado (tomato slices would be great too). Cut in half or eat as is.
© 2013 The Simple Veganista. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from The Simple Veganista website.