Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1-2 tablespoons olive, grapeseed or coconut oil
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 6 serrano chilis, sliced in half and de-seeded
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can (15oz) drained and rinsed
- 1 – 2 lemons, cut into six pieces
- Mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 oz. spinach
- 1 – 2 avocados
- Big dollop of hummus
- Red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Hemp hearts, to garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Prepare vegetables: remove any unsightly spots on the sweet potato skins before cubing, peel the carrots if needed and half or quarter the Brussels sprouts depending on the size.
Place vegetables, chickpeas and lemon in a large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. Toss with oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste. Roast for 40 – 45 minutes, stirring half way through. Vegetables should be slightly browned on the edges and fork tender. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes. If you have a favorite herb or herb blend, you may consider adding a dash or two before roasting.
In individual bowls, serve vegetables with 1/2 cup quinoa, handful of spinach, sliced avocado and a nice dollop of hummus. Top with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, hemp hearts a squeeze of roasted lemons.
© 2014 The Simple Veganista. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from The Simple Veganista website.