Ingredients (makes two/serves two):
- 2/3 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of turmeric (will give it a yellow color), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mineral salt, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup lacinato kale (aka: tuscan/dinosaur) or spinach, julienned and loosely packed
- Small handful sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 7 grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on the size
Preheat griddle on medium.
In a medium size bowl, combine flour, water, baking soda, optional turmeric, cumin, garlic powder and salt to taste. Mix well ensuring all the flour lumps are gone. Add in lemon, stir and you will notice the batter rise and foam a bit. Add in veggies and combine thoroughly. (Note: I don’t really measure the vegetables, so this is an approximation)
Pour 1/2 of the mixture onto preheated griddle or skillet. You can use your spatula to move the veggies around and flatten as needed if they are piled up in areas. Also you can help make your pancake round by gently pushing in the edges where needed. There may be times when it appears that you have more veggies than batter, don’t panic….in a few minutes the batter will puff up from the baking soda and fill in making it look fluffy and full. Let cook for 5 minutes.
Flip and cook another 5 – 7 minutes, making sure the batter cooks throughout nicely.
Serve with your choice of condiments. Pairs well with fresh fruit on the side.
© 2014 The Simple Veganista. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from The Simple Veganista website.